Monday, December 2, 2013

Things I Know

I'm a fan of lists. They keep me on track. They make me feel accomplished. I love crossing things off and, sometimes,  I make lists for things I have ALREADY done for the simple purpose of crossing off each item. Nerd. Geek. OCD freak. Whatever. Label me what you will. It doesn't bother me and I've heard it before. But there is one time I especially love lists. When I'm feeling nostalgic. And Christmas and nostalgia go together like methylene blue and Heisenberg (Yeah, I so just went there).

So, without further ado, here are 16 things I've learned in 16 weeks of medical school.
1. Sleep is overrated
2. Sleep is the best thing ever.
3. I don't know anything.
4. I've learned a lot.
5. Pathology is hard.
6. Everyone is awkward in mock patient exams. (Though things are markedly less awkward when you refer to your female patient as a woman. Not a man.)
7. There is a wrong way to ask a patient about their sexual history. (It involves the phrase "sexually active" and "Oh" followed by an "um" and a long pause.)
8. It's important to remember you can't learn ALL the things. Triage what is important. Don't worry about the rest. (Case in point, it is SHOCKING how little I know about the human foot. And I sleep great, thanks.)
9. Friday nights are for Fun.
10. I don't know what is going on in the world. Really, no clue. (But seriously, I didn't know the government "shut down" until it was already "running" again.)
11. I can study 80 hours a week and survive. Ish.
12. Food is awesome.
13. Showers are awesome.
14. Some of the friends I've made here will be my friends for life. (We've been in the academic trenches together. Cue the Band of Brother's Sountrack.)
15. Anatomists are evil. (Decide on ONE freaking name guys and let's just all agree to go with that one.)
16. I would go insane without all the support from friends and family back home.
Super-special-awesome-amazing-climactic bonus thing: 7-0 equals D.O.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh you!! I love your list.